Sugar Cut Out Cookies by My Wise Mom
- 3 cups flour (all purpose or white, unbleached)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional based on butter used)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Earth Balance vegan sticks, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Dairy-free Sugar Cookie Frosting
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons almond (or other non-dairy) milk
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. (If you are using a butter that already contains salt, skip the added salt. If there is not salt, add the salt to the mixture.)
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one by one and the vanilla. Mix until a batter forms.
- Fold the flour mixture into the batter and beat until a smooth dough forms.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap in cling wrap. Refriderate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly flour your surface. Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch. Continue to flip the dough as you roll it to ensure it does not stick to the surface. Use cookie cutters and transfer cookies to a baking sheet.
- Place baking sheets with unbaked cookies in the fridge and let them chill for 10 minutes to ensure they do not spread in the oven.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, until edges start turning brown.
- Remove pan and let cookies cool on the sheet for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Once completely cool, frost.
- Mix 1 cup powdered sugar with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 2 tablespoons almond (or other non-dairy) milk.
- Add more milk, a teaspoon at a time, until you get the consistency you like.